Monday Movie Review- Paramount+ Zoey 102


Zoey Brooks is still trying to figure out life and love, this time in her 20s. Zoey and Chase did not end up in Hawaii that summer and haven't heard from each other since. When close friends Quinn and Logan announce they're getting married, Zoey and Chase find themselves in the wedding party.




 I watched this movie the day after it premiered on Paramount+. As a side note to Paramount+--You have time for this but I've been waiting years for news on the Hush, Hush movie and I hadn't heard a thing about this movie until a few months before its release. Do better Paramount! 

Anyways, I used to watch the original Zoey 101 on Nickelodeon as we first got cable at my house around the year this show was airing, I know we were late to the party around that time and I used have to go across the street to my friends house to watch all the classic Nickelodeon shows like All That, The Amanda Show, and Rugrats to name a few. At the time this show first premiered I would have been about 12 or 13 which put me just about the age group that would be watching it. Now being in my early 30's, I don't remember much about the show other than the Zoey and Chase will they or won't they storyline and how I wasn't happy how that show ended on that. 

While watching the new movie, Zoey 102 I was able to recognize most of the returning cast. All with the exception of Mark. I seriously had to look that character up to even remember his name though he was in several picture with group that Zoey was looking at towards the beginning of the movie. This scene was mostly showing us that Zoey isn't really involved with her friends' lives. She blames her long work hours for the distance with her friends but everyone knows it's because of how things ends with Chase. I don't remember this about that show but apparently Zoey was supposed to meet Chase in Hawaii after graduation but she never showed or even called to apologize for not showing up. Which is kind of a horrible move on her end and if I was Chase, I would be completely done with her at the point. 

So, this movie starts with Zoey on the set of a reality tv show where she seems to be one of the writers, it wasn't very clear to me and I didn't bother looking it up to know for sure (though a Youtuber said she was a producer), but of course, there's this new opportunity for a promotion that she really wants and seems to have already been overlooked in the past with the information that her assistant was now the Host of the tv show they are working on. This is, can you even believe it, because her boss is a man! I know it's such an original storyline...30 years ago. Yes, I'm being sarcastic. This is such an unoriginal dilemma for the female protagonist. Seen it a million times. 

Moving on, after being passed up for the chance to be at the live final on this reality show despite her coming up with the idea and the only person that one of the contestants listens to, her "best friend" Quinn, I use that term lightly as Zoey isn't a good friend at all, calls her inform her that Logan has proposed and Quinn said yes and the wedding has to be on the one specific date, the same date that the live final was supposed to be on. I'm sorry, even if Zoey got the promotion which she does later anyways, if my friends of over 15 years were finally getting married, I know what my decide would be especially if I've been underappreciated at the job thus far. There are plenty of other jobs out there and not a lot of lasting friendships. 

Zoey accepts to be Quinn's maid of honor and after overhearing the other bridesmaids talking about her, she finds herself making up a fake boyfriend to save face about not being over Chase. Now, she's on the hunt for a fake boyfriend, and wouldn't you know it, she was recently assigned to video submissions at work that gives her access to actors that she can promise to get on the show in exchange for playing her fake boyfriend. The guy she ends up picking is pretty adorable and made his scene enjoyable to watch. I'm pretty sure, if this is any other story, Zoey would have learned she was stuck in the past and would need to move on. But, no, it was back to will they, won't they on with Chase and Zoey.

I honestly don't see why Chase would even want to be with her. She helps ruin her friends' wedding due to her selfishness. What about her is so appealing to Chase? Honestly, Zoey is like a trash person. Sure, she'll redeem herself later but that's not until after she destroyed absolutely everything.

I would give them one a 3.5 out 5. Quinn and Logan, everything to do with their wedding party, were fun to watch. I really enjoyed the bit they did when Michael lost his voice after singing at Karaoke. Overall, I did like it as long as I wasn't thinking about Zoey's selfishness too much. Honestly, I don't remember it be so bad in Zoey 101. Then again, it's been so long since I've really watched the show. I would suggest watching this one if you were a fan of the original but don't take it too seriously.  



 Start back from the beginning...



Comments

Popular Posts