Relook in a Book #5: Princess Diaries 1-3 By Meg Cabot


PRINCESS DIARIES by MEG CABOT


A little information about the series: Mia, at the start of the series, is a fourteen-year-old girl who, of course, finds out she's the Princess of a small Europe country through her Dad, and she has to start taking Princess lessons from her scary grandma while also dealing with high school drama. This is further complicated by her mom starting to date Mia's high school algebra teacher of the very class she's failing and having to attend after-school tutoring before going to her Princess Lessons. Mia has a best friend named Lilly who has a brother named Michael that Mia has secretly been in love with for a while though that doesn't stop her from going out with the hottest boy in their grade, Josh. 

I don't want to give away too much of the story, however, if you enjoy Young Adult novels I would definitely suggest this one.


Hey, look, it's an author other than Sarah Dessen. I know it's unbelievable I read someone other than Sarah Dessen for once. Really, I didn't even finish my last Sarah Dessen book within the last year (busy with a new job). Anyways. meet Meg Cabot, the author of many books but most importantly of all, The Princess Diaries. I've only really read one other book by her despite several of them littering my "Want to Read" list. The Princess Diaries books were my favorite in high school. I reread the Princess Diaries Collection recently which consists of the first 3 books in the Princess Diaries series, The Princess DiariesPrincess in the Spotlight, and Princess in Love. Back when I started my Goodreads account in 2012, I rated these all five stars, and for me, that still holds up; however, I do have some complaints, of course. 

Yes, it is childish because duh, Mia is a hormonal teenager threw the first ten books, but it brings me back to the moment when I was young and constantly had an inner monologue like Mia going around in my mind being overdramatic about everything happening in my life. I still cried and squealed when Michael confessed his love for Mia and they got together for the first but not the last time as Mia has a lot of growing up to do before they are really ready for each other. I absolutely love their relationship in this book series and am so happy that Meg Cabot did the right thing and had them get married in the 11th book of the series.  

I love that in the third book, Princess in Love, there's this huge misunderstanding with Mia's boyfriend, Kenny, who she started dating at the end of Princess in the Spotlight after he was her secret admirer, even though she was hoping it was Michael. Right after, Michael finally gets to tell Mia how he feels the same way about her using his computer program, she freaks out and runs away and is stopped by Kenny who's breaking up with her because she's having an affair with her best friend, Lilly's boyfriend. They are totally not on the same page that he's talking about Boris and she thinks he's talking about Michael as he's Lilly's brother. I love scene like that where people think they are talking about the same thing or person and it just hilarious to me.

My edition is from 2005, which you can tell by some of the shoehorned-in pop culture references, this only bugged me as I knew it was changed from the original edition as the certain album from a teen singer wasn't out in 2000, such as Metamorphosis by Hilary Duff and it especially noticeable when Hilary Duff is mention quickly followed by Britney Spears who I believe was probably the one being mentioned in the original edition. Unfortunately, I couldn't find another copy to compare to know for sure what was originally written. I'm against any changes to books. Sure, you start by updating some current information, but where do you draw the line? I like books that keep their original references because it brings me back to that time. 

Overall, I would still give the first 3 books in the Princess Diaries series 4.5 out of 5. You should give it a try and tell me what you think about it. 
 

Grab the whole Princess Diaries complete series






Comments

Popular Posts