Relook in a Book Review #2: Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen


 SOMEONE LIKE YOU

AUTHOR: SARAH DESSEN

RELEASED: MAY 1, 1998

Goodreads Synopsis: Halley has always followed in the wake of her best friend, Scarlett. But when Scarlett learns that her boyfriend has been killed in a motorcycle accident, and that she's carrying his baby, she's devastated. For the first time ever, Scarlett really needs Halley. Their friendship may bend under the weight, but it'll never break—because a true friendship is a promise you keep forever.




After reading and writing the review on That Summer by Sarah Dessen, I had to flip back to page one in my combined tome with the words How To Deal on the cover putting That Summer and Someone Like You into one novel as they were combined to make one movie. That move, I have to say, was a great one by the screenwriters otherwise nothing would really be happening in That Summer if it was its own movie. That being said, I wouldn't have mind Someone Like You as its own movie. 

This is the book that I think started my teenage obsession with Sarah Dessen books. It was a good thing that they put it first in the How To Deal book because it's a great start and a solid book in Teen Fiction. I gave it 5 stars originally as I did any book I liked, I would give it 4.5 stars now after my reread of it. 

I would have liked at least one more scene of Halley interacting with Macon at the end of the book, he drove them to the hospital and was waiting in the waiting room with everyone else, Halley had already a few hours ago admitted she wasn't in love with him anymore but it's hinted that he still loved her. I just wish their was an actual conversation between the two of them conveying that Halley has really moved on instead of just shifting her focus onto Scarlett's pregnancy and at the end the baby.
I would have liked to know what was really going on with Macon. He's like a mystery through the whole thing but I guess that's his appeal and makes him more of the bad boy. 

Another random note it seemed that everyone was always chain-smoking and I'm sitting there reading this thinking how the odds of everyone getting some type of cancer is very high.







                         


Comments

Popular Posts